Monday, October 18, 2010

just so you know you aren't fooling anyone.

I had a pretty smart kindergarten teacher.
And because of this I have a amazing grasp on being able to count from 1 to 15.

Sundays at Safeway are busy.  I simply wanted to go in to buy a salad,  no big deal right?  Well for some reason there was a lack of staff there.  I guess it is to be expected,  sundays,  most of the employees are unable to work due to the saturday night flu.  This left me in a long long lineup in the express checkout,  which features a large sign reading 15 items or less.

Express 15 items or less,  pretty large printing,  as well a pretty standard rule in our society. I couldn't help but be distracted with the overstuffed shopping cart full of many many items right behind me, threatening to smash me in the back of the legs and cause an injury. After deciding which injury lawyer I would be using for my lawsuit against this shopping cart woman I became distracted with the blatant rule breaking that was going on right behind me!  Darling,  in no stretch of the imagination or country would you only have 15 items or less.  First of all you are the only one in this lineup with a shopping cart.  The rest of us are either holding our items or have a small basket. (Dear Safeway,  please add "no shopping carts allowed" to your Express signs)

Now look at you go!  Unloading your cart,  not 1 but 6 loaves of garlic bread? Smell you....
Oh and how nice that your milk has now fallen on my lonely salad.  Here I am staring,  waiting for some eye contact,  but you are too nervous to look in my direction,  why would that be?  Well maybe the cashier will speak up....she looks like she has been around,  maybe just released from prison. Nope.  No acknowledgement of the rule breaking,  no scolding,  nothing.

This got my wheels turning....every day we face some written and unwritten rules,  we also encounter certain suggestions if you will,  are some of these meant to be broken?

There is an unwritten rule about standing in line.  Maybe my friends have arrived early to stand in line for an important event.  If I arrive later and join my friends at the front of the line is that so wrong?  Does everyone else expect me to stand in the back of the line alone....feeling lonely?

How about the "no flyers please" rule. Personally,  I would thoroughly enjoy delivering a flyer here more than anyone else.  Think about it,  if everyone else is following this rule,  your flyer is sure to stand out more than ever!  Does this make me evil?

I believe there is a rule about men wearing hats indoors.  Some men think they can break this rule but I think this is basic manners.

Concertgoers are always told not to take photos during the event.  Pretty clear don't you think?  No one follows this rule and quite frankly if I have paid $100 to see Justin Bieber I am going to take all the photos I want to. Maybe I have also purchased a $50 t shirt. Just try to stop me!

Silence in the room at yoga.  I get a thrill out of whispering words to my friends across the room anyways and giggling as quietly as I can while others connect their minds and bodies.  Just don't YOU be trying to pull this one off around me then I will be angry and need even more yoga.

Dryclean only.  An evil laugh fills my condo on laundry day as I throw this tag and garment into the washer.  Come find me dryclean police.  Just come and find me.

Parking rules are a complex matter.  Handicapped,  Senior Citizen,  Fire-lane parking must be followed at ALL TIMES.
Special treatment parking for everyone else except me I don't agree with.  I may need to investigate this further and report back.

There is a handy sticker on the window of my car which tells me my next service is due at 35,870KM. Somehow I get a bit of a rush out of the fact that today my car is just over 40,000KM and the service has not even been scheduled.  Pushing the limit....waiting for the light to come on the dash I guess...

Think I will go to Safeway now and pick out 17 items to take through the express line. See ya!

3 comments:

  1. At my local market it says 'baskets only'. I clapped with glee the first time I saw it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought those 15 items or less signs were like the Maximum 60Km signs on the road...mere suggestions. Now please excuse me while I park in the "parents with small children" stall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no meech, while the 60km signs and the parents with small children signs are guidlines and suggestions. 15 items or less remains the LAW.

    ReplyDelete